Last year, if I recall correctly, my New Year involved back-to-back movies and a lot of fizzy pear juice. (My favorite!) This year it looks as if it will involve ham soup. coconut cake, and family time. None of which is bad, but Kroger why did you fail me and not stock fizzy pear juice? Who cares about fizzy apple cider?
But, setting that aside, I had a sudden fit of traditionalism (rare for me, I might add) and decided to round up a few highlights from this past year. Some are writing related. Some are not.
In 2015 I. . .
- Completed a full 5k race after a year of poor health that left me winded if I walked to the mailbox. Sure, I walked the race, but I finished it! And I’ve gotten better ever since.
- Got to visit a friend in Florida TWICE, which also meant access to Universal and Disneyland twice. What can I say? I know cool people.
- Went out on a limb and decided to try ballroom dance. Ten months later, I’m still dancing. You’d be surprised how much you can do even without a steady partner.
- Attended a summer conference for training in voice (YIKES!) and actually sang in front of people. Not once, not twice. . . *counts* . . four times.
- Lost a laptop. Got a new one a few days later. Discovered that my old laptop had done a full backup the day before it went missing and was able to retrieve all the data. Thank you, God.
- Read 100 books. Boom. (That’s not counting all the ones I stopped reading after a few chapters.) Yes, this goal involved some frenzied reading today, why do you ask?
- Attended my first official Realm Maker’s writing conference.
- Helped a friend move across the country by a circuitous route.
- Wrote an estimated 167,443 words on various projects. That’s not counting anything done while editing an existing document. That’s all new stuff.
- Attended lots of live theater including a professional performance of “Les Mis”, highschool level “Beauty and the Beast” and “The Three Musketeers”, Artios Acadamy “The Mikado”, and an adorable “Peter Pan, Jr.”
- Published my first full length novel AND a bonus novella. Two in one year. Yeah, baby.
- And, as a last special note, I saw many new movies, but the one that stands out the most is that I had my first introduction to the X-Men universe this year, which pretty much made 2015 one of the best years ever.
And yes, I’m eyeing that word count and plotting how to up it for 2016. Can you blame me?
Happy New Year!